The advantage of FPGA beginner study board:
- Beginner FPGA study board, cheaper but fully functional. cellphone sized. ( < 100 USD )
- power supply and download at the same time, no extra power supply and no extra data transfer line needed
- Small volume and light and can be put into your pocket. size: 10cm X 7 cm.
- Unique function: can be a study board as well a multifunctional JTAG downloader.
- We use newest version Intel FPGA within two years and you can always keep in the front of FPGA industry.
As a FPGA website for beginners or students, I always look for good and cheap Xilinx FPGA boards for beginners. There are many cheap Xilinx FPGA boards, but many of them are not easy to use especially for students or beginners; they do not offer onboard 7-segment LEDs, switches, LCD, RS232/ VGA port, other needed peripherals for beginners playing around with the board. Many FPGA boards from Xilinx are very user-friendly and they provide many onboard devices, but the price is not affordable for beginners.
Today, I will present my most recommended and affordable Xilinx FPGA development boards for beginners or students. These FPGA boards are affordable and offer all beginners need for their practice and academic projects.
The reasons why this Xilinx Spartan 3A FPGA Board is an excellent choice and recommended for beginners are as follows:
- On board Xilinx FPGA Spartan 3A: XC3S50A-TQG144
- Only 29.95USD: affordable FPGA Board for beginners
- 8 single LEDs, 6 buttons, 8 Switches, 3 7-segment LEDs, other 39 IOs
- On board Audio Codec, VGA port, Micro SD card
- Good English documentation and sample code for the FPGA board
- Good feedback and reviewed by many students
- Another good point is the FPGA board supplier provides a configuration tool to program the FPGA board via JTAG/ USB programming cable. Thus, you can program the Xilinx FPGA board using normal Laptops or PCs. Of course, you need to use Xilinx ISE for generating the programming bitstream file.
The supplier provides a very good quality FPGA board with many peripherals for playing and also offers a very low price. Another important thing is the FPGA board supports FPGA configuration via JTAG/ USB programming cable. Personally, I think this FPGA board is the best choice for beginners.
If the supplier of this FPGA board can add more 7-segment LEDs, RS232 port for serial communications or onboard LCD for text displaying, the FPGA board can be even more and more attractive to beginners.